Lemons are widely recognized as one of the most nutrient-rich “super fruits” available to us. Not only are they high in vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, and B vitamins, but they also contain essential minerals and are alkalizing, detoxifying, antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory.
Here are five ways that incorporating lemons into your daily routine can benefit your health:
- Boosting the Immune System: The high concentration of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) found in lemons is essential for a healthy immune system. Lemons also contain potassium, which protects the brain and nerves from cellular damage, and saponins, which have antimicrobial properties that fight off cold and flu viruses. Additionally, the anti-inflammatory properties of vitamin C in lemon can promote strong respiratory health and discourage respiratory conditions such as asthma.
- Maintaining a Healthy Internal pH: Lemons are acidic before consumption but the citric and ascorbic acids in lemons break down in the digestive system and release minerals that alkalize the blood. An acidic environment is associated with common diseases and regular consumption of lemons can lower the risk of developing a disease or health condition.
- Improving Digestion: The acidic profile of lemons is similar to the digestive fluids found in the stomach, which can trick the liver into producing bile. This aids in the movement of food through the digestive system and the absorption of more nutrients.
- Warding off Free Radicals: The high concentration of vitamin C in lemons is a powerful antioxidant that fights against free radicals, which are a major cause of aging. Vitamin C also helps the body heal faster, prevents cellular mutation, and keeps skin looking young and hydrated.
- Detoxifying the Body: Lemons promote the removal of toxins from the body by increasing urination frequency and encouraging increased enzyme production in the liver, which is the primary organ responsible for eliminating toxins. Next time you have a few too many glasses of wine and wake up with a headache, consider starting your day with a glass of warm lemon water.
Incorporating lemons into your daily routine can offer a wide range of health benefits. Consider adding a dash of lemon juice to water or even squeezing a whole lemon into a glass and drinking it first thing in the morning to start reaping the benefits of this powerful super fruit.